About Me

My photo
Hi! I am a fitness professional, a father of two gorgeous girls, a serious football fan and a LOVER of FOOD! I believe that to maintain balance in life we need to enjoy everything in moderation. But sometime during the past two and a half years, since my first daughter was born, I have lost my balancing ways. I'm addicted to food...my main addiction; chocolate. My workouts have taken a backseat to parent and tot gymnastics, crafting, and singing the ABC song. I NEED to find balance again. Please join me as I embark on this journey. I hope you too can find the balance in your own life.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Numbers Don't Lie -Lunge/Pushup Burnout

5 DAYS!! That's how long it took for the effects of my first workout to wear off. Yikes, my legs were broken! Warning, when doing lunges for the first time after a long absence, be cautious. I repeated the workout on Monday and was able to complete it 1 minute faster, burning over 100 more calories and the muscle soreness after was significantly reduced. That tells me one thing, that I have improved my fitness level from last week.  That was the goal, so overall a successful week 1. Not an overly impressive one, but a successful one, none-the-less.

Before I go on, I need to confess something...I am a big math nerd. I LOVE numbers! I appreciate that most people do not, but just know that the numbers never lie. On that note, I have a challenge for you. The ultimate goal of this challenge is to complete 100 lunges on each leg and 100 pushups.  And, if that doesn't sound tortuous enough, I want you to do it as quickly as you can.

Challenge #1: The Lunge/Pushup Burnout
This challenge is completed by doing 1 lunge on each leg, followed by 1 pushup. After that, 2 lunges on each leg followed by 2 pushups. Work your way up to 10 lunges on each leg and 10 pushups, then back down to 1 again and you will be at the 100 repetition goal.  Cool right?!

Now I'm not completely insane, and I definitely don't want anyone to go overboard here, so I'm going to suggest you start slow. Let's start with 25 and work our way up to 100.  To do this, go up to and including level 5 and back down to 1 again (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1).  Do this and time yourself.  If you feel some muscle soreness over the next couple days, repeat the challenge at this same level.  If your muscles seem unaffected then try level 6 the next time. Ultimately work your way to level 10.

The beauty of this challenge is that you can do it during any workout or completely on its own, as you watch a little hockey, whenever  you want! I have added a quick video of me doing the challenge up to level 3 so you can see how to perform the movements. Enjoy and let me know how it goes.

FYI - my personal best for level 10 is 9:11... Currently I am being beaten up by level 7!

No comments:

Post a Comment